The Levity and Lipstick blog was created as a beauty/makeup/esthetic blog… I quickly (like as in one short entry) realized that beauty blogging is extraordinary difficult. Really, how much time can one spend passionately writing about a highlighter and as a reader how much narrative is necessary other than “it is a stunning cool toned champagne liquid highlight that looks great on everybody.” ? Obviously talking about the not new, but new to me ABH Liquid Glow in “Perla.” Anyway, it’s clear that I can’t sit down and really let true creativity flow in the direction of a beauty or fashion blog all the time. I would though, like to dedicate this entry to my OG niche by revisiting some of the 2017 NFR makeup trends. Better late than never!
Let’s begin with the trends straight from heaven…
1. LASHES… long lashes, bold lashes, fluffy lashes, everything lashes! Maybe it’s all of this R&F Lashboost that’s been going around or it could be the fact that investing in lash extensions can make even the orneriest of morning witches wake up feeling like a glamazonian fembot. Whatever it be, let it be.
2. Natural brows. Having a few stray brow hairs used to mean nearly blinding yourself with tweezers whilst trying to keep the rig in a straight line on California’s tragic highway system. Not anymore ladies! Let them be shapely but free. Goodbye harsh lines, hello soft angelic facial framers. And if you weren’t brought into this world as half Neanderthal… microblading saves lives and time.
3. The wet highlight… not the glittery, Tinkerbell looking, obviously artificial stripe of so called “glow” I’m talking the sat in a sauna for a sec and started glistening like the goddess that you are “GLOW.”
And now the “please for the love of God, NO” trends…
1. This should come as no shock, please for the love of God, stop highlighting your entire face! Especially with sparkly ass rainbow colored chalk. You are not blinding haters, you’re just summoning, I don’t know, fairy demons.
2. Next really isn’t a trend, it’s more of a consequence. Contour and baking can transform your look into something spectacular… if done appropriately. Both are best with the “less is more” kinda groove if you feel me. I saw a lot of makeup at the NFR this year and I don’t mean a lot of different looks… I mean like fuckin’ cake face a lot of makeup! Girls, we can do better, there are 10 year olds on YouTube that can teach you how to contour. Watch them, learn from them, replicate them; leave the clown act to JJ and I know rodeo fashion loves animal print, but let us find our makeup inspo from something other than a zebra. Ya dig?!
In conclusion, NFR ’17 was full of beauty highs and lows…. it was both tasteful and tacky…. populated by both fashionistas and slut shamers, but what’s new? Viva Las Vegas Baby 💋